During the late Victorian era and into the 1900’s, Prestwick was a popular health resort where people would come to enjoy the sea breezes and walks along the beach.
The beach area is mainly sand although there is an area of shingle to the south, which provides some variety for those who wish to wander along the beach or esplanade.
In terms of sporting activities although thre is no harbour there are points from which small sailing craft can be launched, some windsurfing takes place, as well as a certain amount of fishing.
A Walk along the esplanade, starting in the north headed south, would include Old Prestwick Golf Course; it was here that the first British Open Golf Championship was held in 1860. Further south, the children’s play area in the location of the old salt-water swimming pool. Walk further and you pass the putting green, which is open during the summer, and next to it another children’s play area. Prestwick Sailing Club is situated at the junction of the esplanade and Grangemuir Road. At the end of the esplanade is another golf course, that of St. Nicholas.
Image credit © Scott Cameron Wanstall | The Ayrshire Photographer