Soon after the death of the great bard a committee of his greatest supporters set about memorialising the man.
The memorial was completed in 1823 with funds raised by public subscription, with more than 700 donors being recognised in the local press.
The monument was designed by Thomas Hamilton in a Grecian style and overlooks the Brig o’ Doon; the bridge featured in one of Burns most famous poems Tam o’ Shanter. The monument is 70 foot high and offers excellent views of the surrounding area and the River Doon.
The monument sits within attractive landscaped gardens which also include a statue house with statues of Souter Johnnie, immortalised in Burns poem Tam o’ Shanter and Nance Tinnock from the Author’s Earnest Cry and Prayer.