Loudoun Hall was built around 1513 by James Tait, a wealthy burgess of Ayr. It’s one of the earliest examples in Scotland of a townhouse of the late medieval period, has been restored by the Saltire Society, and is worth a visit.
It began as three vaulted rooms on the ground floor, a large hall on the first floor, and an attic storey. Two garderobes, accessible by wooden galleries, have now been restored and project from the outside of the building, with a third built into the thickness of the wall.
It was sold to Sir Hugh Campbell of Loudon, the Sheriff of Ayr, between 1528 and 1539, and a wing was added to the north side.