The McKechnie Institute is Girvan’s cultural hub, featuring a permanent display of artefacts highlighting the town’s heritage, the McKechnie Institute also hosts a regular programme of changing exhibitions, events and activities. Visit the McKechnie, to see Girvan through time:
• Geology, fossils, the history of Ailsa Craig and its granite
• Maritime history and model ships
• Victorian lounge and bedroom
• Bronze Age Cinerary Urns dating 2100-1500 BC
Entry is free.
Always at the heart of the Girvan, the McKechnie Institute opened to the public in 1889 thanks to the benevolence of local businessmen, Thomas and Robert McKechnie. Built in the Scottish Baronial style with some Renaissance detailing, its architects McKissack & Rowan of Glasgow, also designed Girvan’s North Parish Church. The ground floor originally contained a library, reading room and ladies room, with a billiards room and a Librarian’s house on the first floor. During WW1 the McKechnie was the registration centre for the area. All that history, and more, awaits, so why not along and see it for yourself!