Submit a Listing

Destination South Ayrshire

St John’s Tower

St John’s Tower

St Johns Tower, Eglinton Terrace, Ayr KA7 1JJ
St Johns Tower, Eglinton Terrace, Ayr KA7 1JJ

St. John’s Tower is the tower that remains from Ayr’s original parish church, which was built around 1300. On 26th April 1315, a meeting of the Parliament in Scotland and the Scots nobility was convened in St. John’s Kirk, and at this meeting, the crown was officially passed to Robert the Bruce and his line.

The church was also used by Oliver Cromwell’s troops at the time of the ‘Commonwealth Occupation’ following the English Civil War, and used as a storehouse and watchtower. We know it was in good condition in 1693, but likely to have been demolished soon after, and now St. John’s Tower is all that remains.

Map

You might also like...

Ayr
Exterior of stone townhouse dating to the early 16th century.

Loudoun Hall

Loudon Hall was built around 1513 by James Tait, a wealthy burgess of Ayr. It’s one of the earliest examples in Scotland of a townhouse of the late medieval period, has been restored by the Saltire Society, and is worth a visit. It began as three vau...
Ayr
Wallace Tower

Wallace Tower

The Wallace Tower was built in 1882 replacing the first Wallace tower (Auld tour) which was owned by the Wallace family of Craigie and is located in Ayr’s High Street and is a Neo Gothic monument standing 113 ft in height.  The tower was designe...
Ayr
red metal railings with Ayrshire Archives sign

Ayrshire Archives

Ayrshire Archives is the local authority archive service for South Ayrshire Council, East Ayrshire Council and North Ayrshire Council.The Ayrshire Archives Service was established in 1996 by the three Ayrshire councils to preserve and make accessible Ay...
Alloway
Burns cottage

Burns Cottage

Alloway is the birthplace of internationally renowned poet Robert Burns and a trip here would not be complete without a visit to the Robert Burns Birthplace Museum, which has the most significant Burns collection anywhere in the world. Your entry allows...
Ayr
Red and black cannon

Ayr Citadel

Ayr Citadel was built in 1657 on the command of Oliver Cromwell, after the English Civil War and the abolition of the monarchy, to hold down a war weary, hostile Scottish population. It could house a garrison of up to 1000 troops, and was designed to be...
Tarbolton
Outside the Bachelor’s Club

Bachelor’s Club

The Bachelor’s Club is situated on Sandgate Street in the farming village of Tarbolton, and is now a small museum run by the National Trust for Scotland. Robert Burns and his friends founded the club after his family moved to a nearby farm, and it was h...
Copyright © 2022 Destination South Ayrshire. Provided by South Ayrshire Council.